Re: DOH tonguing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on May 20, 2001 at 19:51:25:

In Reply to: DOH tonguing posted by Dominic Marino on May 19, 2001 at 08:53:15:

Young man, you are asking a question about how to produce tonguing with the DOH syllable, as nearly as I can tell. One of the problems with this question is that not everyone will move his tonque and lips the same way to do this so it is difficult to tell you how you should do it. Say the syllable and pay attention to how your tongue and lips move. Then say TAH and notice how they move. When I do this things my lower lip is somewhat tighter when I say DOH than when I say TAH. Yours may or may not do that, too but that is what the person who said to use TOH is probably trying to get across. I was raised in an Hispanic community and, even though I am not Hispanic, I pronounce syllables differentlyu from most purely Anglo speakers. I push far less air when I am speaking than an Anglo. Do you now see how difficult it is to tell someone how to tongue with the written word?

A further example: Harvey Phillps taught me to lip trill (Effie Suite, 4th Movement, c to d) by saying "You can say 'ah, ee, ah, ee' can't you? Well, do that when you go from one note to the other." I can now lip trill. But I do not SAY (vocalize) those syllables; I buzz one note and move to the other by moving my mouth as though I were saying them. Does this help any?

Follow Ups: