Re: Re: Re: British Brass Band on CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Herrick on May 20, 2001 at 17:59:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: British Brass Band on CC posted by Chuck(G) on May 20, 2001 at 12:22:07:

I went to the Australian National Band Championships in Brisbane at Easter and was rather amazed at the range of instruments being used. A number of players were using CC and F tubas as well as the full range of Eb and BBb. I am not certain on this point but, I do believe that bands had to get clearance to use these "non-standard" instruments in the brass band competition. I don't think it mattered in the concert band section but I don't believe that a CC or F is allowed in the solo competition as yet as this is still solidly divided into BBb and Eb sections with different "test" solo material required for each.
Steve Rosse might be able to clarify this.

I remember when I came to OZ 30 years ago my old King 4RV BBb "Monster" was a real attention getter as virtually everybody was using Boosey & Hawkes (Besson) and mine pointed the wrong way!! Now you are as likely to find not only Besson but Yamaha, Wilson, PT6, 20, 15,10,Mirafone and most anything else made. One interesting Eb was at Steve's stand, the Cortois Eb which with only a few minutes to try seemed quite nice.
I might mention for other players here that Steve carries a good range of mouthpieces as well as importing instruments.

The tuba scene has certainly changed as even all but one of the 8 major Aust. orchestra players used B&H Eb for the orchestra job. The one CC in use, and it had only just come out was a Conn 2J. THe player in Melbourne had a B&H Eb customised with a large "recording" bell. This might have been before even John Fletcher started using his large bell Eb (late 60s).

As for reading parts and playing them on CC, reading the Eb part as bass clef (adding 3 flats) is the easiest for somebody not experienced in covering Bb treble clef. It can be a good idea to learn to read Bb treble parts too as it means that much more repertoire is then easily accessible.

Follow Ups: