Re: Re: Re: British Brass Band on CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lucky cat on May 20, 2001 at 15:17:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: British Brass Band on CC posted by Chuck(G) on May 20, 2001 at 12:22:07:

Hey Chuck...

Good thought! My experience has been that the characteristic sounds of the F and E-flat vary a lot more than the BB-flat and CC. I played CC in my former group because a) my former teacher thought it was good for me, and b) there wasn't really a free double b-flat I could use at the school. With some of the groups I have played and / or subbed with, a lot of the BB-flat players used their CCs. I've seen many professionals that play in NABBA amateur brass bands use their CCs. (I am sure there as many that do not however.)I have to admit, however, I have never played in a group where any of the E-flat players used an F. I have seen them use CCs, but that seems again like that tambre difference would be even more drastic.
The parts are always treble clef BB-flat and E-flat, as you know probably, so use of a CC or an F will always require transposition... maybe that's part of the reason people seem to go out of the way to find a correctly pitched horn (: I think the e-flat and BB-flat horns are the best to achieve the true British sound, but I feel the CCs do not really detract much.

Follow Ups: