Re: Re: Re: New Alexander's; Any Opinions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony Clements on May 18, 2001 at 10:13:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: New Alexander's; Any Opinions? posted by Tony -- why BBb? on May 17, 2001 at 21:23:27:

I have always HATED BBb tubas, too slow, too bright, poor response. I even got to the point in my teaching carreer that if someone showed up with a BBb, I wouldn't teach them. Having said that, I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT! I have played SEVERAL BBb's lately that I really like. I played a Hirsbrunner piston, an old Mirafone kaiser and these two Alexes that I have. After adjusting to their 'sluggush' response, I have discovered the warm open sound of the BBb. The 4/4 Alex is truly a wonderfuil tuba. At first, playing it with a tuning box, I was concerned with the pitch. But after bring the tuba wo symphony and playing with the section, everything just lined up. My only concern (and is ALWAYS A concern with a 4 valve tuba) was the 2&4 low B. It IS a bit sharp, but not unworkable.

For me, I use a tuba for its sound, not its cost, ot the name etched on the bell. Simply put, I LOVE the Alexander sound. When (IF!) the CC's show up, they will be a serious contender for my regular tuba.

Follow Ups: