Weril EEb 3/4 4V playing characteristics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on May 17, 2001 at 09:28:01:

The sound on the Weril EEb is fine, just like the BBb and CC and "getting right down to the nitty-gritty", here are the pitch quirks. (The BBb and CC versions have pitch quirks, too, just like any and all other tubas, but here are the EEb's tendencies, at least when I played the EEb for a few minutes.):

I wouldn't recommend playing this instrument with a deep cup mouthpiece. When I tried a deep cup mouthpiece, any negative intonation tendencies were intensified. This instrument needs a shallow cup mouthpiece (matching the instrument's size, IMO) for the pitch to line up within working perameters.

This tuba was constructed (It seems to me) to pull the #3 slide out far enough to play the F, E, (low) Bb and A with 1-3, 1-2-3. The fourth valve is L-O-N-G to be friendlier to low Ab (1-4) and notes below low Ab. This makes sense to me, since this is an EEb flat instrument and the "low" notes are not that "low" (more important that they are close to right in tune), and having four valves, rather than five.
As far as "open" notes' intonation, with a shallow cup mouthpiece, the low Eb is just about in tune (very slightly flat), the middle Bb is noticably sharp (10 or more c.) the in-staff Eb is in tune, the open G is in tune, the top-o-staff Bb is in tune, and the high Eb (and D) are noticably flat (10 or more c.) - similar to the CC version, except this quirk has been moved "up" to much higher (less oft played) notes, this tuba being pitched in EEb). The "fundamental" EEb is in tune. As far as the flat-tendency overtones, the characteristic disappeared once I got past 2nd valve. The response is fine throughout the ranges, and most of the 2-3 combination notes seem to play in tune plenty close to right with the #3 slide is pulled out far enough to allow the 1-3 and 1-2-3 notes to work. As you see from the pics, there are some top slide pull rings that could come in handy, and actually the main slide is somewhat accessable, too.

I think it would be a fun brass quintet or jazz tuba. It could also be a fun solo instrument. There is a strap ring on the bottom of the back side. My price on this 4 piston EEb instrument (like the BBb and CC) is $1695 with a lacquer finish, and the occasional "blem/demo" being available (no predictability in the supply of these, obviously) for a slightly reduced price. The EEb that is currently at my store is not a "demo". As far as "quality of construction", I would still say that the Weril tubas offer 99% of the "quality of construction" of comparable Yamaha instruments at only about 50% of the price.

Below is a link to my original post (yesterday) with pics of the Weril EEb tuba:

Follow Ups: