Re: $NEW$ tuba on ebay - -what is it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rocky Bivens on May 17, 2001 at 06:20:54:

In Reply to: $NEW$ tuba on ebay - -what is it? posted by Graham Smith on May 16, 2001 at 11:41:21:

There have been many good suggestions here. I would like to "share" the approach I have used, which seems to be working well for me.

After a lay-off of over 30 years, I decided to start playing the tuba ... again. I have purchased 3 tubas - 2 from eBay and one local source. All three well worn, but respected brands: 2 kings (1 full size, 1 3/4) and one full size besson. I paid almost $4,000 CDN - that's about $1.50 US :)

I intend to keep them about a year, after which point I will purchase a good quality (possibly new) 4 valve (these all have 3 valves). I will re-sell those that I am not too attached to on eBay, probably for about what it cost me originally.

In this way, I have been able to play a variety of horns and determine what my needs are with an up-front investment, but little long term cost.

BTW, this approach was my wife's idea! (Sure is nice to have that kind of support). She keeps saying, sure, buy another one and try 'em out!

Follow Ups: