Re: Need advice from tuba teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on May 15, 2001 at 08:01:12:

In Reply to: Need advice from tuba teachers posted by Mr T on May 14, 2001 at 16:22:29:

#1 - NEW King 2341
#2 - Old King 2341
#3 - Meinl-Weston 25
#4 - Conn 5J
#5 - Miraphone S186
#6 - Jupiter Full Size 4V BBb (? model #)

Even though for my own personal use I would personally have a different order in picking a horn, I feel that these are in the best order for students. The King is first because of its medium bore which can be restricting to someone who blows a lot of air (I have blown out a loose slide on these on the 1st valve), but makes it easier to get a full tone for the average student, the kid who can overblow the horn and is beyond a King's capabilities usually will get his or her own. The meinl weston has a great sound and reasonable intonation and is extremely durable. The Conn applies to the same rules as the King, but doesn't quite have the sound output and works best in smaller ensembles. The Miraphone is a great horn but it isnt as durable and requires, in my mind, a student who has already got a good tuba concept in mind. I don't have a lot of experience on the Jupiter but it seemed reasonable as an option, but it doesn't seem super durable and it doesn't seem to have as much sound output as the others.
Thats my advice, it may be worth what you paid for it!
One other thing, when you choose a horn, get the best case you can! The plywood ones work for a while and can be repaired. The molded one seem a little better and fit into vehicles better. And if a student is taking the horn home make them tak it in the case or else the horn won't last too long.
The sum of money you guys have is great, it speaks volume for the support of the band, keep up the good work!
Matt G

Follow Ups: