Re: Re: Re: Re: major intonation flaws

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on May 13, 2001 at 08:49:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: major intonation flaws posted by Frederick J. Young on May 13, 2001 at 08:26:12:

Most likely. But exactly the same type of flaws also occurred in a much narrower context in a 30 years old experience of mine.

Back the I bassboned in a brass band and played recorder in the renaissance and baroque repertoire.

At a music store sale one of the offers was a Finke replica of a Bb tenor trombone. Very narrow bore, bell hardly over 4 inches, no flare at all. Slide action in the old German tradition, which was more for bodybuilding than for music making.

But the price was very low, so the real reason for me not to buy this instrument, was that it very well was in modern Bb tuning. Except for the 2nd partial series, which was having A in 1st position.

So bad design is possible under many bore and bell circumstances.

Today, as a collector and with some more experience, I might regret not to have bought that instrument. In ensemble repertoire of these periods tenor trombs hardly do descend below 6xt position anyway. As they are playing from the same parts as the corresponding members of the recorder and crumhorn families.

Klaus

Follow Ups: