Re: Silver Finish Characteristics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick F on May 12, 2001 at 09:29:13:

In Reply to: Silver Finish Characteristics posted by Karl Parks on May 12, 2001 at 00:10:30:

I also use "Tarni Shield" from 3M. Tarni Shield polishes AND protects. 3M also makes Anti-Tarnish Strips that help prevent new tarnish from forming. They're like a charcoal paper that you can tape inside your instrument case. They absorb most of the gases that can cause tarnish (according to the write-up). The instructions say not to let this paper come in contact with the silver.

Older silver instruments can be more trouble to keep shiny, simply because they've been polished more often. Each time you polish silver, you are removing some of the that finish, so you can overdue it. I do wipe down my euphonium after every use. I have a cloth called "Strad - Ultra Cleaning Cloth" by Jim Dunlop. It's woven from Polyester / Nylon fiber one tenth the size of silk and has a weave that creates tiny micro pockets which help to remove smudges and dirt. It's a little expensive (AT) $12 for 15" sq cloth.

I've had silver and lacquer instruments. I think silver is much more durable. The finish lasts longer.

Rick F

Follow Ups: