Re: strange cerveny

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on May 12, 2001 at 00:59:47:

In Reply to: strange cerveny posted by Mark F. on May 11, 2001 at 18:57:25:

A precise evaluation of course is hard despite the greater than usual number of pictures. Still taking a few shots:

The rear view reveals that the main bugle has 3 levels of branches plus the bell stack at the left side. Combinened rear and front views tell of 4 branches at the opposite side. Much more wrapping than usual. Telling of a longer instrument, than a first view would point to.

Then there are the valve slides. Their length and their bore by far exceed the dimensions of either "Althorn in Es, Tenorhorn in B, oder Bariton in B" to use spellings in the language of the bell emblem.

Even the valve tubing layout is quite well known from the instrument size I find this to be:

It is an overly compact F tuba.

Aside from the compactness and the odd relations between leadpipe, valve cluster, and bell there is another feature, which should have a bearing in the resolution of the enigma: the overdimensioned bow guard on the leadpipe side of the body, almost a rail to which a handstrap could have been mounted.

Even if I never saw anything like this, I would say, that this is attempt to build a handy tuba for a cavalry band.

I other contexts, I have told of the 9 piece mounted army bands of my own country a century ago: non-flared Eb flugelhorn, 2 cornets, trumpet, valved alto trombone, 3 valved trombones (one or more sometimes with generous dimensions of the bell bow to throat area), and a five or six valved F tuba. The tubist could steer the horse sideways through reins connected to the stirrups. But he could not hold back the horse that way, hence he rode in the middle of the midrow.

The tuba in question here solves the wish to have one hand free for a good grip on the reins. If riding at the left wing, the tubist blows out of the formation, which is very desirable in mounted playing. And the horseman side of the riding bandsman has a free view to both sides.

All this of course is sort of guesswork on a too narrow base of informations. I look forward to see other opinions.

Klaus

Follow Ups: