Re: Re: (Long) Road Trip Report: Dillon Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 11, 2001 at 17:22:45:

In Reply to: Re: (Long) Road Trip Report: Dillon Music posted by Lew on May 11, 2001 at 16:55:28:

You asked for an opinion, and here it is.

I didn't much like the King.

The sound broke up more easily, and the instrument seemed not that agile. The sound didn't have anything like the same depth to it. I'd rather have the VMI or even the Jupiter 582. I once thought that a King might be my kind of horn, but the examples I've played lead me to believe that perhaps that isn't the case. But I preferred the new one to the old one, and I think it's fair to describe the new 2341 as a refined version of the old 2341.

I have to admit that I'm also not much a fan of the Conn 52J that is similar, though I thought a lot more of the Conn than the new King. I didn't play both of those side by side, and I can't comment on how similar they are or are not.

I have played a Getzen G-50 that I like much more, so what do I know?

The York is bigger than the King and the Conn, in most all dimensions. It has a .750-bore valveset and blows and sounds more like a larger horn, as you'd expect. Conversely, I liked the little Weril CC, but didn't at all like the Conn 5J. With the Weril, at least you got the agility of a small horn in return for the smaller sound. Or so it seemed to me.

Of the BBb horns, none of them at Dillon seemed to approach the sound or playing qualities of the York Master. I have played a Willson that seemed bigger, but didn't give me the same warm fuzzies as the York. What can I say? I believe that the York Master is one of the better BBb horns made, at least the ones I've tried.

But I'm probably just used to the York. And I played my Doug Elliott mouthpiece on those other horns, and that may not be the best mouthpiece for them.

It's hard to compare, and I might change my mind if I play them again.

Rick "a man of strongly stated but weakly held opinions" Denney

Follow Ups: