Re: Sony ECM-MS957 vs. Audio Technica AT-822

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 11, 2001 at 10:08:32:

In Reply to: Sony ECM-MS957 vs. Audio Technica AT-822 posted by Chuck on May 10, 2001 at 17:38:15:

I never tried the Sony, and my friend made his judgement based on the published specifications.

The spec that counts for our application (miking tubas up close) is the maximum sound pressure level. The Sony is rated at 115 dB (my friend said, "that might work"). The AT-822 is rated at 125 dB (my friend pronounced that pro-quality). I find that I cannot overload the microphone from six feet away with the bell pointed at the mike. Also, the frequency response is extremely flat down into frequencies needed for tuba recording, unless you use the bass rolloff feature (don't).

There are some technical differences. The Sony uses a center with a cardiod pattern and a peripheral mike with a figure-8 pattern. It then uses a subtraction technique to separate the two channels. This allows you to adjust the level of separation (you have two choices with that mike). The Audio Technica mike uses two matched cardiod condenser mikes spaced at 120 degrees. This may theoretically provide better stereo separation, but I don't really think it will make that much difference in practice.

The AT-822 is designed for field recordings. It has unbalanced outputs, which match up to the unbalanced inputs of consumer-level recorders that use a stereo sub-mini plug. This is what you want. Audio Technika also sells the AT-825, which is the same microphone, but with balanced outputs and separate XLR connectors for each channel. These must be plugged into a professional mixer or recorder that has balanced inputs. They made the AT-822 for video production, for use on cameras that have unbalanced microphone inputs. Even professional video cameras apparently have unbalanced inputs.

I would not charaterize the AT-822 as the bottom of AT's professional line. I would say rather that this is the professional microphone Audio-Technika sells for stereo field recordings, particularly video production. Their more expensive microphones are not stereo mikes, and they are designed for studio applications, which is a different set of requirements. They also sell workhorse live-performance microphones that are much cheaper than the AT-822, but that meet the live-performance set of requirements. Those, also, are no less "professional."

The Audio-Technika AT-822 is likely the best stand-mounted microphone on the market with unbalanced outputs, so the more expensive mikes will require a professional mixer board or recorder with XLR three-conductor inputs. Get your checkbook out.

Rick "who also likes the rugged construction" Denney

Follow Ups: