Re: the going rate

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on May 08, 2001 at 14:11:28:

In Reply to: the going rate posted by Curious.... on May 07, 2001 at 18:42:07:

I charge my students $10 per 25 minute lesson(they have them during the school day, and I have the task of fitting two lessons into each 50 minute class period). Outside of school I charge $25 for a one hour lesson in their home, or $20 for an hour lesson in my "studio"... I'm sure a pro/someone with far more credentials and experience could get away with charging more... fortunately(for me), there don't seem to be many of those in my area.

My observations of decent pricing:

lessons from an average college/university student: $10 per half hour
lessons from a local music educator(not necessarily a tubist): $10 per half hour
lessons from a collegiate professor: $25-$75 per hour lesson(or free, if you're lucky)
lessons from a symphony pro: $75-$150 per hour

and of course there are all sorts of sub-categories (retired symphony pro, freelance musician, etc).. it really comes down to the quality of teaching you're receiving... if you feel that your lessons are worth $50 an hour, then by all means pay/charge $50 an hour. Don't pay more than you believe your lessons are worth... and likewise, don't ever let your students feel like they're being overcharged.

Follow Ups: