Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Maty Erickson on May 07, 2001 at 12:43:25:

In Reply to: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by Jon Brady on May 03, 2001 at 17:48:59:

Read Bob Daniels thoughts again. He got it right.

When I played the pedal octave on Claude Smith's "Eternal Father," I talked to him before the rehearsal and said: "I took that section down an octave and think it was a nice effect. How do you feel about it?" Claude Smith said: "Let me hear it." When we took it down (splitting the octaves) he said: "Wow--I didn't know you could do that--it sounded like somebody let an organ into the studio! Let's do it.

Not all of the traditions are written on the page, with respects to parts or instruments. Good taste should prevail. Modern composers have knowledge about the newer instrumetns and their capabilities with rrespect to range, etc. Most competent composers do their homework and know exactly what they want to hear. Right or wrong, IF I decide it is appropriate to take a lower octave, it usually happens on older transcriptions. Back then, they didn't have access to the larger pedal register sounds.
Most composers of any era are willing to consider a musical idea designed to enhance their music. Ego and the sheer ability to play in the lower or upper range are not the reasons to change any composition.

Follow Ups: