Re: NABBA test piece, 8vb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony on May 07, 2001 at 00:17:10:

In Reply to: NABBA test piece, 8vb posted by Curious on May 05, 2001 at 16:50:54:

I played in the Triangle Brass Band in the Chanpionship division. Loved Masters oof Space and Time. Band didn't like it at first, but I did. Tuba part was not challenging to me at all, but the overall ensemble is pretty tough. I know I will be sent to a fiery death for saying this, but I took some stuff down the octave. C's and B naturals at the top of page 2(loud stuff before tempo change) and some E flat whole noted at the end. Some other small stuff here and there. No one seemed to mind, not even the conductors. Most of you out there don't know me or my abilities as a tubist, so any criticisms might be unfounded(if you do know me, then your criticisms are founded). Broughton had the right to compose the music any way he wanted, and I have the right to interpret it as I feel would make the best musical product. We are artists and owe it to the composer to make it great. If I feel that dropping an octave will increase the listner and performers enjoyment of the piece, I am going to do it. It may be a lot, it may be a little, but I have every right to do it. You must assume that I do it in the right style, time, rhythm, intonation and blah blah blah. When a builder builds a house, he follows the blueprint, and if he thinks an extra nail here and there will make the house better, he puts one in, regardless of what the blueprint says. Maybe not the best analogy. So I am going to continue to make music my way, create my own art, and love doing it. Don't yell at me about it because you can't make me stop. I am going to drop octaves until I stop breathing or win Matt Good's job in 2026. Well, Untill I stop breathing.

Follow Ups: