Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 06, 2001 at 12:44:34:

In Reply to: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by Tim Murphy on May 06, 2001 at 11:56:22:

Your point is well taken and I challenge you to follow your opinions in this matter as you mature as a musician. I remember thinking in high school just how easy orchestral playing seemed. After playing band music for many years, I would look at orchestral tuba parts and wonder what the big fuss was all about. It wasn't until I began to see these parts for what they really were that I understood that just rendering them correctly and in the style and intent of the composer's wishes was plenty hard enough. I would also encourage you to think about the difference between different interpretations of a work versus different arrangements of a work. When you change the notes that a composer has written, you are arranging his work. Sometimes, this is okay. But I can show you many examples of players or ensembles who interpreted a work differently while still playing exactly the same notes. I believe this is why we listen to different performances of the same piece, not necessarily different arrangements. Both techniques have worked for different situations but know which one you're doing and why.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: