Re: Re: Pedal Notes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 05, 2001 at 11:46:12:

In Reply to: Re: Pedal Notes posted by Use this - Winton on May 05, 2001 at 11:33:42:

Use this technique if you really want to develop an inconsistent low range!

Seriously, using a shift may work for you but it is not the only way to play very loud pedal notes. I have been working for years on playing in the pedal range without moving my embouchure and I assure you it can be done. Further, my sounds remains consistent throughout all the ranges because I use the same embouchure all the time.

What generally causes players who shift to not be able to play pedals loudly is they are opening up their embouchure so much that they can't really center the note well. Also, by opening your embouchure overly you really use your air supply quickly, causing you to take breaths much more frequently than you should have to. I work at keeping the notes really centered and in tune while pushing the volume as much as I safely can. Over time, the sound quality and quantity improves vastly.

Ultimately, using a shift can work but it is a whole lot more work than using a consistent embouchure. Using the consistent embouchure takes a bit of practice but it pays off down the road. Taking lessons from a good teacher will help this process the most.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: