Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on May 04, 2001 at 15:16:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by Carl on May 04, 2001 at 14:48:51:

If I wrote some music and then instrument advances were made, I would be open to seeing what the advances afforded. Berlioz was composing in a time when there were certain instruments available. If changes were being made using what was available to him but he chose not to use it, I can understand his disdain. But, because the spectrum of instrumental possibilities is now larger than it was when he was composing, I'm not sure that we can immediatetly disqualify any changes.

It's a pretty well-known fact that Berlioz was known for pushing the limits orchestral possiblities. We don't know how he would have responded to a contrabass tuba being used 8vb. But, knowing his desire for extremity, I think it's likely that he would have liked the affect. Using the instruments he had available, can you imagine a texture more dark and threatening than what he created in the Dies Irae? If you are going for extreme darkness and threat, don't you think that tubas in octaves is a better choice than two in unison? I think so.

On a similar subject, would he like the sound with modern instruments? larger-bored brass instruments, tighter wound string instruments with steel strings instead of gut, valved tubas instead of opheclides, synthetic drum heads, metal snares.....?

Chuck "often verbose and not very clear" Koontz

Follow Ups: