Re: Re: High tution costs and Financial Aid

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aubrey Foard on May 02, 2001 at 22:08:05:

In Reply to: Re: High tution costs and Financial Aid posted by Mark Wiseman on May 02, 2001 at 11:06:54:

It is definitely who you study with and not the school. Ask yourself this: if I go to (school I'm considering), will it give me a huge edge in an audition compared to if I went to a different school? Most likely, if the school is excellent, it will give you a SLIGHT edge in the audition. However, this edge can easily be made up at a less expensive university with extra practice OR playing in/subbing in professional orchestras OR going to a really great summer music festival OR there are many other things that will make up for this extra edge without you losing an arm and a leg. Chances are also that a substantially less expensive university will have a brass section very close in ability to that of Juilliard or any of the other big conservatories. Also, if you are considering a highly prestigious school such as Juilliard, caveat emptor: my family and myself have known many past and present professional musicians who won their jobs, but came out of these places as complete psychological wrecks. Not all of them, obviously, but a significant handful. Some of them even gave up playing professionally altogether because of the highly competitive nature of these schools.

Follow Ups: