BBb helicon vs. the Sousaphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin Eckelkamp on May 28, 2000 at 21:15:17:

Hello my tuba pals! I love Sousaphones to death! I love to swing them around in the parades and show off!! A few months ago I decided to get a job and save up $800 to $1200 to put towards a used silver King BBb Sousaphone, a real dream! Then I saw a picture of a helicon and I thought they looked pretty cool. Last week while searching through Waldo's Tribute to the Wonderful Tuba website I found the O.M.T.A.A.M.B. link. On that website it showed many pictures of the tuba section, many of the players owning thier own Sousaphones. One picture showed a man with helicon sitting next to some Sousaphone players. Wow! I didn't know that the helicon was that big! I later regarded the horn to be BBb helicon because of the large size. I had an idea that maybe it would be neat to purchase a BBb helicon instead of the intended Sousaphone, because they looked pretty cool and all the other players would think it to be really neat. Well I have talked to many other helicon players about various matters relating to the helicon. But now I am starting to feel guilty about wanting to play the helicon instead of the Sousaphone, because I love the Sousaphone! I wouldn't feel this way if I wanted to switch to a Raincatcher Sousaphone for instance. I figure that a Sousaphone is really just a beefed up BBb helicon. Right? I just think these helicons are really neat vintage instruments. If you have any neat stories, soothing words of comfort, comments, or historical tid bits please write!

Sincerely,
Sousaphone lover

Follow Ups: