Re: York Sousaphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on June 01, 1999 at 11:02:54:

In Reply to: York Sousaphone posted by Frank on May 31, 1999 at 18:56:22:

Hi Frank,
I too have a York BBb sousa of the same vintage serial number 147704. I got it about 10 years ago and it needed parts ( a valve button, neck and bell screw) I replaced them with non York parts. they are also brass and not silver. If anyone out there knows where I could locate some original York parts for my horn I would love to get them. Evidently it looks like they were made in the late 40's early 50's era. The horn is a real nice player. It is a small bore and small bell neck compared to many other sousaphones I have played but it has a beautiful sound and looks pretty too(Satin silver with bright silver inside the bell) except for the usual 50 years worth of dents and dings. I just got the horn out this weekend and cleaned up in preparation for a Memorial Day parade. I forgot how nice the horn was!
When I bought the horn I also bought a matching silver York Eb sousa, but I traded it about a year ago. What did I need two sousas for? Now I wish I still had it. It was a big Eb sousa with three valves. It too played well, but not quite as well as the BBb. I do not know what the serial number was. I also have an old York Baritone Horn, ser. # 114871, also a great player. I just happened to get these york horns not really knowing what they were.Turns out there is quite a following of York fans! count me as one of them.ken k

Follow Ups: