Re: Re: Re: Re: any photo of Yamaha Tuba Silent brass ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on May 31, 1999 at 03:03:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: any photo of Yamaha Tuba Silent brass ? posted by D. Seebaugh on May 30, 1999 at 19:44:14:

About the "You practice with a practice mute, don't you?" --

For the heck of it, I tried playing some of my warmup with a straight, and when I pulled it out, I was playing more open and centered than when I started that day. I've described it as the same principle that a batter uses multiple bats or weight donuts to warm up on deck. I'm also getting more time on the mute to get it to sound right. I've never practiced with a practice mute, though -- never had to (yet!).

Figuring that the idea behind the Yamaha mute is to hear "normal" undistorted, unmuffled sound, there should be some benefits with it that a conventional practice mute wouldn't have. Is it possible to crank up the playing with the Yamaha mute?

Also, is it better enough than, say, buzzing in the car in the morning to warrant the purchase? I've done whole hour-long warmups on the mpc alone during a drive, and when I got to the show, I only needed about thirty seconds on the horn to get into it.

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: