Re: Model of Older CC Mirafone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on May 21, 1999 at 09:49:32:

In Reply to: Model of Older CC Mirafone posted by Tubadad on May 21, 1999 at 09:10:57:

Probabilities dictate that it is a 186-5U-CC. If it IS a 186, the INSIDE DIAMETER of all of the removable slides will be .770" - 'seven hundred and seventy thousandths of an inch' - (except for that horizontal main tuning slide which is bigger) and can be measured with dial calipers. Also, the bell flair might be 16 1/2" wide, but this was later changed to 17 3/4" on the 186. (There were/are also 184's, 185's, 188's, and maybe even a 190 or two around. These models are other "fatnesses". Confusingly, the 188 also has a 17 3/4" bell and a .770" bore, but indeed is different.)

People (like me) charge so dang much to strip, polish, and relacquer tubas (compared to its benefit: zero) that I sympathetically suggest that you spend the finish money on other things. If you would find yourself in need of this, I sell hard cases with or without wheels at very competitive prices, and will also (reluctantly) sell you a very competitively-priced padded bag with back-straps. (Bags are "dent magnets".)

If appearance is REALLY an issue with you, could I suggest to you that you consider stripping the REST of the lacquer off and leaving it at that? Otherwise, you are looking at a "four-figure" cosmetic upgrade for relacquering.

Follow Ups: