Re: Re: lanolin on slides?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Swensen on May 20, 1999 at 13:10:46:

In Reply to: Re: lanolin on slides? posted by Dave Seip on May 20, 1999 at 07:28:02:

I have used anhydrous lanolin in the past, and I found that it, also, promotes microbial growth. I noticed that my water key (very close to the tuning slide, on which I was using anhydrous lanolin) was getting slower and slower to drain, so I looked down the tube with a flashlight and discovered a great mass of microbial growth forming a ball the size of a pea, right over the hole to the water key (I'm guessing that it was fungal, but I did no
further analysis once I scrubbed it out of the tubing). The horn played a lot better after
cleaning just that 8" section.

I had been warned (by a horn player who has done extensive development work on new instruments) that lanolin, anhydrous or otherwise, would support microbial growth, and it was suggested that I try "Magic Lube", a teflon-based sealant used on O-rings and the like for swimming pool equipment. I bought a lifetime supply for about $7.00 at a swimming pool supply store and have been using it since, with no growth problems. If it dries out it does leave a white residue, but it wipes right off with a finger or cloth.

Follow Ups: