Re: Re: Endurance?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin Miller on May 15, 1999 at 01:30:41:

In Reply to: Re: Endurance? posted by Alan Herold on May 06, 1999 at 11:01:57:

The Technical Studies by Herbert L. Clarke are excellent for developing air and endurance in all registers. One thing I always tell my students is to let the fast airstream do the work as opposed to a super tight embouchure. Use the mental picture of blowing the air all the way through the horn. Too many students approach the upper register with a constrictive embouchure while blowing the air "at" the mouthpiece instead of "through" the horn. A fast, free blowing air stream with a relaxed embouchure will increase endurance substantially. Sometimes I even position myself in the student's line of vision(2 feet away) and hold up a piece of paper and tell them to blow an ascending pattern and maintain the quasi horizontal position of the paper from the low notes on up. Then I have them do the same thing on the horn. This usually produces instant results. Visual illustrations that are seperate from the music can be effective. Roger Bobo advovcates using ascending lip slurs or arpeggios, then some doodling about in the upper range. The next part is most important he says. After spending some time in the upper extremeties of the horn, always work your way back down to the lower range to encourage relaxation in the embouchure.

Follow Ups: