Re: DEG 800 series - is it any good?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Sellmansberger on May 13, 1999 at 01:33:26:

In Reply to: DEG 800 series - is it any good? posted by Terry on May 12, 1999 at 19:05:33:

I am speaking off-the-cuff here, because my computer is at home, and not at work. I sell a D.E.G. 851(????) tuba to schools that is in BBb. It is 3/4 size, called "Schafer", and made in Taiwan. They are copies of King 1160 3/4 top-actions. I find the D.E.G. Schafer to be equal to the King in durability (I have seen some REALLY torn-up Kings, but not through the fault of their construction--more like really bad kids), and the Taiwan Schafer has more closely-machined pistons and better-aligned slides than the King which it copies. (If you pull a slide out two or three inches on the Taiwan D.E.G. Schafer, the fit of the pistons and the alignment of the slides will pull it right back to where it was.) I sell the new BBb Schafer's to schools with hard case for about $1800. They play acceptably well for what they are -- about like Yamaha 3/4's -- and are a real deal for schools.

Again, I cannot be certain that this is the tuba that you have a chance to purchase from another, but I hope this helps, in some way. I really don't know of any Eb's that are labeled D.E.G. The only Eb that I know of that D.E.G. sells is their Swiss-imported "Marty Erickson model" Willson (Kurath) Eb -- a really fine instrument.

Follow Ups: