Re: For The Good Of The Order

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 12, 1999 at 17:09:58:

In Reply to: For The Good Of The Order posted by Ellis on May 12, 1999 at 15:34:16:

(standing and applauding) Well said!!!

I completely agree with your sentiments and have said as much in the past. That is the primary reason why I didn't spring for the $16000+ Yorkbrunner and went with the sub-$5000 Cervany 601. You make a great point that a good player can sound good on any functional equipment. This is by no means an endorsement of inferior equipment, just a reality check on the balancing of common sense economics vs. potential performance benefits.

The unspoken truth here, in most of the posts on this subject, is the process by which you determine "what works for you". Remarkably, most of my professional colleagues can pick up a garden hose and sound okay. When it comes to comparing upscale tubas, there are generally only minor differences in intonation and ease of execution. And there are always the lists of strengths and weaknesses attached to any given instrument. Even with the plethora of mouthpiece and tuba combinations available to the tubist, the single most powerful advantage a player can give himself is a higher level of skill. Ultimately, it is the skillful player that wins the job, not the high priced tuba.

Thanks for the thoughtful post! By the way, you wouldn't happen to live in the vicinity of Vancouver, would you???

Follow Ups: