Re: Re: Re: Re: I just want to try a hirsbruner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jack on May 10, 1999 at 00:05:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: I just want to try a hirsbruner posted by Jeff Chronister on May 09, 1999 at 02:35:16:

I own a SILVER 5/4 Rudy. It is believed to be the only one in existance because they are only avalible in laquer. It is about 28 years old. The previous owner had the insturment overhauled after a significant accident and decided to add the fith valve and silver plating. The instrument was so large that the bell had to be removed and "dunked" separately. The silver plating is starting to flake off on the inside of the bell. I think this is happening for two reasons: 1. the plating was thin and is now getting old 2. the instrument resonates so well that it vibrates--significantly more than other tubas that I have tried--the violent vibrations may cause the separation of the silver plating. I picked up the horn from Mr.Jacobs' Studio (the guy who had it before me was a serious student of Mr. Jacobs). Mr. Jacobs said that the horn is really nice. He also advised me to hollow out the valves to improve the sound even more.

Follow Ups: