Re: Music major doubts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 02, 1999 at 23:36:20:

In Reply to: Music major doubts posted by Tito on May 02, 1999 at 21:35:26:

I hope others on this board, who are at a similar crossroads in their lives, will follow the responses you are sure to get from your question. I imagine that the opinions offered will be numerous and varied. Who knows, maybe the truth will be in there and maybe even a solution for you.

The advice I would offer is that you first establish what it is that you want to do with your life. In determining this, you need to find that which will make you happy. Don't base your decision on monetary concerns unless not having lots of money will keep you from being happy. If being happy turns out to be pursuing a career with the tuba then you need to commit to finding a career for yourself that will be fulfilling for you. I have yet to meet a parent that didn't want their child to grow up and be happy. Maybe by telling you that they won't support your decision to pursue a music career, your parents are trying to force the issue and see if you really want to do this. My parents did the same thing to me. Their decision had two main effects on me: 1) It galvanized my belief that this was, indeed, what I wanted to do with my life. 2) By forcing me to put myself through school for something I loved, they taught me self reliance. These two factors created for me an ideal environment to cultivate my skills and pursue the career I wanted, always with a sense of urgency in the background that I had to pay the bills. Self preservation is a powerful instinct, use it to your advantage!

Now, after I've gotten a job and started a family, my parents are nothing but doting. They are very proud and tell me that they never regret my decisions about my career. Like any good parents, their primary concern is that I'm happy with my life. Your primary concern should be your happiness in the long term. Anything less and you're cheating yourself.

Good luck!

Follow Ups: