Re: Perantucci euphonium..any info?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on March 22, 2004 at 16:06:17:

In Reply to: Perantucci euphonium..any info? posted by A. Rasheed Akande on March 22, 2004 at 13:18:32:

You probably have seen the page on that instrument at the site of Custom Music. Else you can follow the link given below here.

I haven't tried this instrument. The Sterling-Perantucci instruments are not imported to my country, as they had a very bad debut here some 20 years ago. The workmanship was not good back then. People didn't accept valve caps popping off because the threading could not hold them.

But apparently that situation has been bettered since the company still exists.

Dave Werden writes about the S-P euph on the CM site. And his endorsement seems to be honest so far, that he actually plays this instrument.

You should be aware, that the bore dimensions given at the CM site are not measured in the accepted standard way of doing so. They are measured as the outer diameter of the male branch of the given slide. Sterling is not alone, as Willson uses the same measuring method.

You can compensate (pun intended) for the wrong bore numbers by detracting 2 times the normal wall strength of the slide, which is very close to 0.020".

If you do so, the bore dimensions are very comparable to the other pro level euphs.

One thing seems odd, if one has not had a similar instrument in ones hand. The bore of the 4th valve is told to be larger than the bore of the compensation loops, which are an integrated part of the 4th valve air path. The compensation loops do NOT represent retrograde step bores in that 4th valve air path.

The explanation is, that the bow of the 4th valve tuning slide is conical, so that the bore expands after the air has passed the valve block. (My own Yamaha YEP641 is made in the same way, whereas I seem to remember, that the Bessons have a uniform bore all through the 4th valve tubing).

My experience with Dave Werden is, that he is a very kind person, who is easy to communicate with. I will not give you his mail address, but as he runs a well known edition, it should be no problem for you to find his business address. I can only encourage you to contact him, if you have further questions. You are welcome to refer to this posting.

Klaus

Follow Ups: