Re: F tubas.......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on March 22, 2004 at 01:21:17:

In Reply to: F tubas....... posted by Chase Conley on March 21, 2004 at 20:01:26:

While I suppose it's possible that one of the big F tubas could work in a band setting, I'd be inclined to avoid it. Admittedly my Alex F is a "small" F tuba, so I might be a bit off base to generalize, but I also don't think it has enough "weight" to the sound to support a very big group. On the other hand, if there are already a couple of other tubas, then the "clearer" voice of the F might make an interesting combination, but it's not something I would buy for the purpose.

Re low range, with a couple of exceptions, the vicinity of the C below the staff will feel really strange on an F. It's possible to make it SOUND OK, but it FEELS funny.

I think the F can sound really nice in a small ensemble for some of the Baroque literature, but even in a quintet I'd still switch to a big horn for any jazz/dixieland type music where you want something like the "thump" of a string bass. Also I think most quintet arrangements assume a bigger horn and they don't play into the strengths of an F.

An F tuba as the high tuba in a low brass ensemble also works beautifully.

Follow Ups: