Re: Dillon G3 opinions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on March 17, 2004 at 10:15:09:

In Reply to: Dillon G3 opinions posted by SHS Tubamaster on March 16, 2004 at 22:10:49:

I've been using the G3 for a little while now and I think it's a good mouthpiece. I tried it on my Rotary MW 2155 CC and it didn't the response curve of the horn well, but I like it a lot on my RM-43 (3/4+ CC). I use it on the RM for large ensemble stuff. I tried the Dillon PS O1, the M1C, and the Marc N2 on the RM as well, and the G3 provided a good balance of clear response and colorful tone while still giving me the biggest sound possible out of that horn. I use it when I want a full 4/4ish kind of sound, but not as big as my 5/4. The low register sounds humongous on the Rudy when I use the G3.

The PS O1 was too big for that horn, it sacrificed the color of the tone. The M1C was just a weird fit... the tone had kind of a strange color to it and the response was uneven. I use the Yamaha Jim Self on the Rudy more often than the G3, simply because of the kind of playing I'm doing with it. The Self is lighter and clearer, so I use that for chamber music and small bands and stuff. All that to say I like the G3 a lot, but you should make sure you get a chance to try it before you purchase. What kind of horn is it you're playing on? a large-ish Mira BBb?

Follow Ups: