Re: Re: Re: Re: Dixieland music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on March 14, 2004 at 21:28:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Dixieland music posted by Wade on March 14, 2004 at 12:04:05:

When Wade says "vanilla" is far too kind a description, he's being extremely diplomatic. To think positively, do a lot of listening. All forms of jazz are really audible art forms, not written art forms. Once you have absorbed some of the styles, fake books can help you learn tunes and changes. The web site below has some great publications.

By the way Wade, I compared your set of changes for "All of Me" with what I have in the fake book "The New Real Book" from Sher Music Co. Many of the chords from that lead sheet are more advanced jazz chords -- not dixie stuff. It demonstrates your point that dixie is not the same as later jazz (swing, be-bop, modern, free).

I'm also with those who recommend learning to read treble clef. [Also, reed and trumpet players should learn to read at concert pitch.]

I have heard some good dixie bands play from charts, or who have learned pieces from charts (and play in performance with no music in front of them. However, these are good jazz players to start with. Having some arrangements means they can do some more coordinated licks, key changes, etc. That is something you usually don't get with only improvisors. However, that kind of stuff is definitely not dixie 101.

Best of luck; learning it is half the fun!

Allen Walker

Follow Ups: