Re: Re: Re: Vienna Valves?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Henry on March 12, 2004 at 18:29:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Vienna Valves? posted by Thomas Dodd on March 12, 2004 at 18:17:33:

Advantages; while there are twice as many the porting on each valve is really simple; one straight through hole in the open position and essentially nothing at all required when the valve is in the pulled (they pull vice push through the linkage) position. All six can be identical (as with rotors) allowing real ease of manufacture in a time when such manufacture was really painstaking handwork. No idea if it was at one time really common, certainly the multiple valve idea would have gotten increasingly ungainly as four plus slide instruments came into fashion. And I would think that for all the simplicity of the design they probably weren't half or less the cost of the more sophisticated single piston or rotor valve devices which coexisted and then fully supplanted them. Absent that they lost any reason for use. They offered really good smooth flow through the valves but not so superior as to really offer a definitive edge there. I have a Courtois trumpet from the fifties with a straight flow through the pistons in the open position and many flugelhorns have same today. Closed the pistons all have the normal convolutions. No advantage from the valve pattern that I can detect.
Henry

Follow Ups: