Re: Festive Overture

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 12, 2004 at 14:04:27:

In Reply to: Festive Overture posted by John Jones on March 11, 2004 at 14:14:56:

Regarding your "original instruments" approach: The only euphonium-like instrument in the modern sense (slightly larger bore; compensating valves) was the Boosey and Hawkes/Besson when this piece was premiered. The compensation system was still protected by patents at the time, as I recall. The competition consisted of American-style baritones (such as the example above), French saxhorns, and German-style rotary tenor tubas.

The Reynolds instrument pictured above has a bore of .565 or thereabouts--only slightly smaller than the Besson .580 bore. It was made in 1938.

In short, I think a modern euphonium has the ability to play this music the way Hunsberger would have heard it. But that doesn't mean modern players would approach the sound the same way. Mouthpieces have changed more than the instruments, and the prevailing sound concept is much more tuba-like than in those days. But I doubt the valves would have been any easier to move then than now.

Rick "who once played the Festive Overture bass trombone part on a Yamaha F tuba" Denney

Follow Ups: