"Low Brass Basics" by Tony Clements

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on March 10, 2004 at 21:57:09:

I recently ordered Tony Clements’ instructional book, titled “Low Brass Basics”.

I don’t know how all of you are, but I have stacks of exercise books, and I probably need another one about as much as I need another Orchestral Excerpt. But, I was intrigued by his website billing: “This third edition method I have been using for years with all of my students. I have had excellent results with students and adult players who want to get better. FAST. If you use my book, I can guarantee measurable results within a few months.”

Well, damn!! I’ll take two then!!

Just to be safe, I only ordered one. What I like about this book is how concise and practical it is. As far as exercises, there’s one or two “basic” exercises for each of the following: Breathing, Long Tones, Lip Slurs, Three Note Patterns, Tonguing, Warm Up, and Slides (for t-bones), Additionally, he has one called “Over the Break” and another called “The Chop buster”. He also includes the Major Scales and a two page “Fundamental Rhythms”. The exercises are exactly what he claims they are: basic. Each exercise contains a few points on “what to listen to”.

“Low Brass Basics” also includes straight-to –the –point comments on practicing and suggested practice routines for various time durations, breathing fundamentals, cleaning your instrument, playing in tune, and selecting equipment. There are also fingering charts, lists of recommended materials and solos for tuba and euphonium, a tuba-quartet repertoire list, and recommended duets.

Did I mention you also get the Stars & Stripes-Piccolo Solo in two keys? Don’t forget the “Free Lesson Coupon”.

Again, the beauty of this little book is that Mr. Clements is much better at brevity than me. It’s concise. Physically it’s a fairly thin booklet. Even so, the print is good size (no eyestrain required).

I really like this book of “basics”. It makes for a great daily routine, and I think it would be especially useful to younger players. For you folks out there giving lessons, this is definitely worth checking out.

Tony E

Follow Ups: