Re: perspectives

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on March 08, 2004 at 22:12:20:

In Reply to: perspectives posted by bl. on March 08, 2004 at 15:14:52:

Joe,

I, too, am in constant amazement of string players. I got a great chance to watch the string section put together hard stuff in one day for Pavarotti last week and am in amazement at how fast they assimilate material AS A SECTION. I teach strings on a daily basis and understand the demands put on the human body to get a good sound. I am married to a GREAT violinist and watch her teach and practice as much as she will let me. If you ain't got an ear your sunk, then there are little things, like how the pinkie on the bow hand can affect an entire arm, how a bent thumb in a bow hand will allow a student to free up a wrist to play with an even sound throughout the entire length of the bow. In fact, the left hand is relatively easy compared to the machinizations of the bow arm. A wonder to behold.

Chuck"who always concentrates on watching the bow arm when playing with strings because of the complexity of the nuance needed to produce an good sound, never mind that the left hand cannot be one hair out of wack or the pitch goes south, which is why there is a huge juggling act in my classroom everyday to balance the work between the two and has a profound admiration for those who make it look easy" Jackson

Follow Ups: