Re: Tuba for a Bass Trombonist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on March 07, 2004 at 16:41:23:

In Reply to: Tuba for a Bass Trombonist posted by David on March 07, 2004 at 09:59:53:

Hi David,
Like Dave Carter I too have a Boosey and Hawkes Eb similar to the Besson 981, great horn. I was a bass bone player (and still am) in college and got into tuba playing then. And since college I have been doing more tuba work that bone work. I would go with a smaller bored horn like the boosey or maybe the Conn 5J or King 2341 and stay in BBb for now, since you are most familiar with BBb fingerings. Both of these horns are easy to play and have very good intonation. You can find very nice examples of both for well under your budget. Granted they are not the most sophisticated horns on the market and after you play for awhile you may find that you would want to upgrade. You could probably sell either one of these BBb horns for what you paid for it (assuming it is in similar condition). They will hold their value pretty well.

My reason for recommending one of these horns is that I find the big bore rotary type horns to have a completely different feel, not better or worse, just different, from the bone blow.

You will get as many differing opinions from everyone who replies on the bbs. The bottom line is try out a bunch of horns and get something you are comfortable with.

Recently there were some threads about the old Olds 0-99. There was a four valved model of that horn too (don't recall the model number) and some were stenciled and sold by Bach for a few years in the late 80's to early 90's. These were nice little horns with good intonation too.

good luck and have fun..

ken k

Follow Ups: