Re: Re: Re: Studying abroad

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Karl on March 06, 2004 at 04:32:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Studying abroad posted by Luke on March 05, 2004 at 10:00:56:

Well some might disagree but what I think as the "British" style of brass playing is the extream dynamic ranges of ensembles particularly brass bands. I have never heard an ensemble play so soft with a good sound and in tune before in my life and vice versa with loud forte sections. I've also never been told to play so soft before and to play so loud in an ensemble. The euphonium sound is huge compared to the "American" style. I know many people still say that the British play with a bright sound and all that vibrato, but that is a out dated observation when I got here Steve (Mead) told me I had a bright sound and said I sounded "American." The British tubers have huge sounds also! In RNCM brass band when the basses let loose it rumbles the ground its awsome! as for recordings check out some MODERN brass band recordings such as Black Dyke, Fairey FP, current UK champions, and my favorite the Buy as You View Cory band or pretty much any of the top 5 or so of the UK's brass bands. Also Dyke and Corys solo euphs are both RNCM alums! and of course the LSO, BBC Symphony, BBC Phil, and the Halle Orchestra. Hope this helps or makes some sort of sense.

Follow Ups: