Re: Re: Re: Best concert band in the U.S.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on March 05, 2004 at 00:26:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Best concert band in the U.S. posted by Alex C on March 04, 2004 at 19:44:41:

I hope you didn't read into my post below that it was just the conductor that makes the DWS my favorite. The musicians do the playing and the players in that ensemble are outstanding. I know a few past members and they are terrific musicians. Obviously without the level of its individual musicianship, the group would not be what it is no matter who got up there and waved their arms.

After having worked with Junkin a little and in remembering how the band I was in reacted to a true conductor, I think it does add a lot to the music making of a group to have someone up there knowing what they want and showing it...even if you disagree with some of the conductor's methods or interpetations. Believe me, on even a basic level, it's not fun to be lead by someone who wants to be lead himself. Often, we were a 65-piece "chamber group" waiting for someone to breathe to know when to start.

As far as the orchestral sound that Rick mentioned, I remember Fennell saying that less is more with band when it comes to numbers in regards to sound and intonation. Players are trained to play, especially brass performers, one to a part when learning orchestral literature. I honestly feel having great musicians mostly one on a part, including divisi (meaning two tubas), takes the clutter out of the sound. Plus, the players, for the most part, enjoy playing more when less repetition is around them. The exception is the clarinets where I feel two to a part, minus Eb, is best. (Obviously, this is not always good for lower level groups.) The DWS does use less numbers than the military bands and employs fantasic players. I think the sound produced is a result of all these factors.

Yeah, I will be interested to see how the Stravinsky works out with 50 players. I'm sure the iron cellos will save the day! Good luck with it!

Mark

B.T.W. I left off the Coast Guard band on my list by accident. They are a terrific ensemble as well.

Follow Ups: