Re: Re: UNT Euph Studio Article

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold on March 04, 2004 at 20:09:55:

In Reply to: Re: UNT Euph Studio Article posted by Mike on March 04, 2004 at 15:55:59:

You really can do anything you want to do. Any one of those players can get or make a gig playing. Rather than looking at the market for euphonium as closed, I look at it as un-tapped and wide open.

Also most, if not all, of the 26 players are under 30. They are at an age and a stage where they should be encouraged to shoot for the moon. Most of them will wind up teaching as well... they have a superior role model that is showing them that it is a great thing to be able to be a great player and to give back by teaching.

As far as the athlete thing comes up... I can only guess at that. Here goes... An athlete can spend hours a day practicing their sport (where the failure rate is extreme) and ignore the books. When those that do make it to the big leagues, they'll only work for an average of 4 years or so. Once they're done, they need a fall back. They need a business degree or something that they can use by the time they turn 28. A musician who puts in effort and hours into performing still needs to pass some pretty tough/demanding classes. They don't get the gifts of easy classes like the one in the link below. They have the marketability and ability to perform, teach, or even get another job with a degree that is a little tougher than the watching paint dry degrees that some athletes get. Major in football, break an ankle and you're done. Major in music, get hit in the face, and you're just a few credits away from an education degree... or you can teach privately right away.

I don't know if you think my reason holds water or not, but my pot will, and I've got some spaghetti to make now!

Follow Ups: