Re: Re: Willson 3400 VS Besson 983

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on March 03, 2004 at 19:12:29:

In Reply to: Re: Willson 3400 VS Besson 983 posted by Apples and Oranges on March 03, 2004 at 18:40:10:

Exactly - they're two very different instruments. Personally speaking, the Willson was an ergonomic horror show for me - didn't fit me at all. In truth, I hated the Willson, but I think it wasn't a particularly good one. I also can't see the point of tying to manipulate 5 valves in the key of Eb. The Gronitz Eb has its 5th valve tuned down a tritone (A-natural), and that makes the low end fingerings a lot easier. If I had kept the Willson, I would have had extra stocking added on to the 5th valve slide to do the same thing. I also would have needed the leadpipe lowered (it pointed at my forehead), and the 5th valve thumb trigger moved farther forward. I seriously could not depress all five valves at the same time. I'll say this much, the horn and its case would be ideal for stopping traffic on your street - that's how heavy they are. The conclusion I finally came to was that if I wanted a horn like the Willson, I'd probably shop around for a really good 3/4 CC instead, and really work on my high range with it.

I now have a 983, and I'm fairly happy with it. I do agree with those who say that you shouldn't rule out the 3 + 1 style Eb tubas.

Barry "try before you buy" Guerrero

Follow Ups: