Re: Help needed: puckering lips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Puckerpuss on March 02, 2004 at 20:41:07:

In Reply to: Help needed: puckering lips posted by Pierfausto on March 02, 2004 at 15:41:23:

When I see a student puckering, it's mostly because he or she isn't "anchoring" the corners of the mouth. When I point the behavior out and work to correct it, the frequent complaint of young players is that "it hurts the corners of my mouth" after awhile. I point out that what they're feeling is probably fatigue and it will pass bit by bit with practice as the muscles firm up.

Try this: Hold a mouthpiece away from your face. Now, imagine that your lips are opposite sides of a rubber band and you're pulling them taut by firming the corners of your mouth. Begin to buzz your lips without a mouthpiece, and, while keeping the buzz, put the mouthpiece up to your lips without channging your mouth's position. Try the same exercise with your horn. Note that you get a nice clear tone.

Use this exercise as a reminder when you find yourself slipping back to your old ways.

To improve air volume and tone, try to imagine that you're keeping your lips buzzing but that you're trying to stifle a yawn at the same time. Notice how your jaws and throat open.

I'm not an advocate of free-buzzing without support, nor do I believe that things should be done when they produce pain. However, I've found that the above exercise is a good way to discover the embouchure that works for you and beat the puckers.

Follow Ups: