Re: new horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason on April 01, 2003 at 21:37:03:

In Reply to: new horn posted by Adam on March 31, 2003 at 16:55:08:

I have been playing a Kalison DS for almost four years. Three of those years were in college. I have played it in large ensembles, small ensembles, quintet, and for solo use till I got my F. It filled those duties well. It makes a great all-around horn, meaning it will fit just about any situation.

My horn, and not all of them are exactly alike, is a good one. The intonation is great for a piston CC, meaning few alternate fingerings are necessary to play in tune. Contrary to what someone else responding said, the low range is good, very open. Easy to get a big sound with the right air. I can get all the way down below pedal C with not too much work.

The only major complaints I have about the horn are these two: 1.) the thumb ring is not attached well and will break off easily and 2.) the sound gets a little bright in the mid- range around F in the staff.

The horn is constructed pretty well and will hold up if you take care of it. The valves don't give me any trouble. The slides are smooth. The bell is thin and will dent easy, but that is one thing that makes the horn sound good.

Kalison may not be a household name, but it is a good horn.

-Jason Harrell

Follow Ups: