Re: Re: Re: First Tuba Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 01, 2003 at 17:12:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: First Tuba Audition posted by mark on April 01, 2003 at 16:57:07:

No argument from me. I would always prefer to warm up before leaving for rehearsal or performance and have a rest before actually playing. I don't often get the opportunity. Sometimes when I warm up for an extended period right before playing, I'm already feeling a bit of a burn in my chops and it holds me back. Even 15 minutes of rest would remove that burn without undoing the warmup.

Also, keep in mind Allison's status. She is a flute player who is a beginner on tuba, playing a beginner-level test. She is unlikely to have developed the endurance to spend 45 minutes warming up and then still be able to play at her best. Most folks who haven't (for whatever reason) worked up to hours and hours of practice every day are tempted to spend too much time warming up before a performance situation, and go into the performance already having used up their endurance. I have made that mistake many times. We get their early, and we are bored. We like to play, so we play, and play, and play, and play, and then are surprised to discover that our chops are blown when it counts.

Rick "who thinks rest during practice is a good thing" Denney

Follow Ups: