Re: Re: Re: Re: comparing euphoniums

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carroll on March 31, 2003 at 16:25:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: comparing euphoniums posted by Used horns? on March 31, 2003 at 11:55:34:

My thoughts exactly. I had a mid 60's imperial that I bought for $200 and loved like a child. Then one of my students tripped over the horn and landed on it. I had it straightened, but it was never the same again. It still gets played, but by another guy in my quartet. I found myself in the market for a new horn and I did exactly what "It's luck" advocates above... I played every horn I could without looking at brand or price. The other guys in my quartet picked the same horn I did, me for feel and ease, them for sound. It rings in my hand (especially after I had the lead pipe suspended off the bell) and plays well in tune (now that I had the second valve slide shortened). It is not the sweet, pure sound my old horn had, but it is very close. I have played many of these branded horns before and swore against them. I had played 12" bells before and vowed never to own one. Well, this one horn spoke to me in a way that transcended all of those prejudices and I bought it on the spot. I hopre you can find "your" horn, too.

Follow Ups: