Re: Re: Re: 2165, York copy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubagrow on March 28, 2003 at 23:48:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: 2165, York copy posted by JoeS on March 28, 2003 at 22:39:37:

I am now using a Schilke69C4 on my MW2155(rotory) and find it is simply easier to focus my sound and manage my intonation than with the Monette. Plus, I found the Monette94(even though a good mouthpiece) just too dark and dense on my MW. The 69C4 made my sound more transparent, clearer, and also somewhat more buoyant. It is funny that Monette says it is easy to play with his mouthpieces, but I find them harder to control than regular bowl mouthpieces. I was using deep funnel mouthpieces on everything before, but now I am using bowl mouthpieces. For me, they offer more clarity, transparency and ease of playing. My sound is still plenty dark from my sound concept and my horns. I am also using a Marc.N3 on my Dillon-Holton EEb, and I have more bounce in my sound. My teacher noticed that I have more focus and clarity in my general playing. I also got the return side of the rotory bumpers on my MW replaced with cork (they took out the Neoprene sp?, they were bouncing like basketballs) and fast passages, and runs are noticibly cleaner now. There are so many physics/mechanics when it comes to tuba stuff!

Follow Ups: