Re: MW2155 Valve Trouble

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Stefan on March 28, 2003 at 10:38:49:

In Reply to: MW2155 Valve Trouble posted by Andy Grappy on March 28, 2003 at 09:49:49:

Welcome to the club. You describe the EXACT problem I have had with my 2155. Obviously, these valves need some re-thinking at the factory. After taking the tuba back to the shop where I purchased it on several occasions, the problem did not go away. Finally, I noticed there was an extreme build up of black gunk on the valve cap. I managed to get the valve cap off (very difficult), and cleaned it. My problems went away - for the most part. Every now and then, it still sticks - but nowhere near the amount of times it used to. I re-oil it with Binak, and it stops sticking for a while. I am going to try regular valve oil eventually to see if it is the Binak or the cleaning that helped.

It was also determined that I may have been pressing the valve down slightly off-center. Perhaps I was, but there is no question that the valves are way too sensitive. I am considering looking into another horn because although the problem is reduced, it is just not where it should be for a professional level horn.

Stefan

Follow Ups: