Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bb or CC for college

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 27, 2003 at 16:55:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bb or CC for college posted by Preston James on March 27, 2003 at 15:58:43:

Playing standards in England are different than in the U.S. What works there would require the student to defend an unconventional position, and for no good reason, it seems to me. That was my basis for suggesting a CC instead of a BBb. Given that he's going to have to learn them all anyway (again, assuming he's gonna be a music major), and given that they all provide excellent choices, there's no reason not to choose in accordance with convention and then have to defend that choice repeatedly.

I have all sorts of tubas from 3/4 F to 6/4 BBb, and if I could only own one of them, it would probably be the 4/4 Miraphone 186. That's clearly the most versatile tuba I own, even though my specialty instruments keep me from playing it much. My F is better in quintet just as my BAT is better in large bands, but only the 4/4 contrabass could reasonably do both and meet typical expectations.

Rick "recalling pictures of George Wall playing an Alex 163, Stephen Wick playing a Hirsbrunner HB-2, and John Fletcher playing a Holton 345" Denney

Follow Ups: