Re: Re: Re: Re: Bb or CC for college

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on March 26, 2003 at 08:38:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Bb or CC for college posted by YEAH, RIGHT... on March 26, 2003 at 00:17:10:

Let me second this. Get the tuba that helps you get the sound you want. Also consider the kind of music you want to play (orchestral, band, quintet, dixie, solo, etc.). The kinds of sound you will probably want to make will vary, depending on the role you are playing. Get some advice from a teacher who is sympathetic with your musical interests.

At a seminar I attended, Pat Sheridan was asked why he played an Eb tuba. He answered, "It helps me get the sound I want." [He does play tubas in other pitches when he is not soloing.]

Regarding the fingerings issue (mostly debated in the context of BBb versus CC), the tuba world seems to be divided into two camps. One camp regards fingerings as a minor part of learning tuba, and would never let the necessity of learning new fingerings stop them from getting a particular tuba that helped them to sound good. The other camp regards fingerings as quite difficult to learn, and would not consider buying a tuba in any other key than what they originally learned (usually BBb). [Of course, there is a range of attitudes between these two extremes.] There is no sense in debating this; you will simply have to decide which camp you are in (or near).

Allen Walker

Follow Ups: